Thursday 8 August 2013

A sensational summer spectacle of sport?

 
I love sport through and through.  I'll watch it on the TV. I'll go and see it live. I'll read about it in the paper. But there is an obvious group of sports people that shy away from the media and the majority of peoples interest - women.

A recent Newsnight episode (not sure the episode is available) touched on some of the usual issues. But for me the biggest reason I end up getting hooked on to the US golf Open at 1am in the morning or will wake early to catch some of the Australian tennis at 7 in the morning is to follow through on a 'story'.

Some people argue that Test cricket is one of the oddest sports in history (5 days of sport with no outcome...?) yet when it is England v Australia and the Ashes it becomes an epic drama.  The Wimbledon win for Andy Murray is made that much more interesting because of his 'story', his background, his childhood, his coach.

The Paralympics last year finally came to the wider publics attention.  It wasn't just because of Channel 4's excellent coverage but the presenters and commentators perspective of it. They told us the athletes stories. We got to know them as individuals and a reason to get behind them.
This is what the media need to do for women's sport.  The BBC have showed us the Women's football Euro competition this summer which is a great start.  But where have these players come from? How much better would it be to have watched them play all season?

Addition: Having written this blog over a week ago, I didn't publish it as I kept doubting my views were strong enough. But thanks to Clare Balding my views are clearly heading in the right direction.
See also Clare Balding Twitter .







No comments:

Post a Comment