Sunday 21 July 2013

The very beginning.....

I was made Head of P.E. in September. I've done an ok job. I always knew the first year was all about settling in, not fixing what aint broken and getting a feel for the job.
This first year has included:

  • tweaking the schemes of work.
  • having an NQT to induct - who has turned into an absolute gem.
  • our school has begun rolling out the use of iPads.
    Moving forward with the times....
  • we've got the go ahead to have a permanent projector in our sports hall.
These combinations have ignited my desire to really push our department forward.  I think as a school we are already behind the technology race/ development/ evolution however you want to call it. We are complete Apple users and have begun tsk-ing Window users (shameful, I know)

The iPads have been set up as a booking out system, they often aren't ready for the lesson, sometimes you can get onto YouTube sometimes you can't....it's had some teething issues.

That aside our fresh faced NQT and myself have been desperate to capitalise on the potential use iPads could have with our P.E. lessons.

So this blog is, and I'm very ashamed to use the X factor catchphrase, all about our journey.

As of September we should have
  1. iPads for our department staff
  2. access to iPads for pupils to use
  3. a fixed projector in the Sports Hall - linked to a computer, speakers, DVD player etc.
I've now got the summer to make sure all are up and running by September (with a little bit of help from our ICT department).

My first task is to compile a selection of apps for consideration.  Carefully weighing up 'would we actually use them as a gimmick or use them to enhance our teaching?' Mrwickenspe blog addresses this and will be one I will be referring back to.  The P.E. Geek was my initial inspiration and one I will be referring to a lot more in my next blog.

Wish me luck and contributions/ advice/ help along the way would be oh so gratefully received.






No comments:

Post a Comment