Sunday 21 July 2013

My second reason for blogging.

My other reason for blogging is to share my other 'journey' starting in September. I've set up a second 'P.E.' session for our Reception classes. 

They are incredibly lucky in that they have one session with a qualified P.E. teacher (alongside all the other opportunities they have of play-discover-create-experiment that their teacher naturally creates for them) plus a swimming lesson each week.

The second session I wanted to try out was basically tennis all year around.  I think as a sport it offers so much potential in developing the all-round athlete and attributes we strive to teach.

Pat Cash once said:










Tennis is a tough sport because you need so many things to play at a top level. Firstly you need to perfect all the technical areas of each shot; then there's the physical attributes of speed, agility and endurance topped with balance and timing. You need mental strength too: there's no clock to run out, so every point is important and it becomes a great mental battle.
http://www.healthandfitnesstravel.com/experts/guest-interviews/pat-cash-buccament-bay 

Seeing Andy Murray follow on his success of an Olympic Gold and the US Open with an almighty victory at Wimbledon this year against Djokovic makes it an obvious sport to keep young children motivated with.





 My 2 issues with having the different sessions are
  1. a brand new scheme of work based on this idea is needed but also
  2. our original scheme of work already covers some of the basic principles I would use for tennis so I need to replace these with other ideas.
My first aim is addressing the brand new scheme of work. 

 I absolutely love the Set 4 Sport website and app and can easily see myself implementing most of these ideas into lessons throughout the first term. 

 Judy Murrays' way of explaining is simple, the ideas are even simpler and the philosophy of how we should be teaching (or rather playing) these activities to our pupils is spot on.

Teaching P.E. to EYFS and KS1 should be nothing but boundless amounts of fun and play and I think Set 4 Sport does this perfectly.

But should this be the basis of my tennis SoW or a side avenue for the other SoW? Could they work alongside each other for half a term perhaps?

Do they need to be separate lessons?  Should they each have their own identity?  Does who is teaching each lesson have an impact on the content for continuity?

A few questions I will need to have clear in my head before I put pen to paper and one I will address over the next few weeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment